Here is my quick lettuce wrap preparation that includes mushrooms and other local veggies. This is a delicious choice on a hot summer evening or a Meatless Monday. This is one of those recipes where you have carte blanche and can include any extra veggies you may have on hand too!.
Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
- Boston or Butter Lettuce leaves, washed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Low sodium Soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sherry or Rice Wine
- 1 tablespoon Rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 Scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage (any variety), finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms (shitake, oyster, etc.) finely diced
- Grated Carrot
- Bean spouts
- Grated Cucumber
- In a jar, or other screw-top container, add all sauce ingredients and shake to incorporate cornstarch. Reserve.
- In a wok or large skillet heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and ginger. Cook about one minute.
- Add remainder of filling vegetables and stir-fry until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Push filling to one side of the pan to expose the bottom and creating a place to cook the sauce. Shake the sauce in the jar again then raise the heat in the pan and add the sauce to the exposed area.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil, incorporate it with the vegetables and serve on a platter along side the lettuce and garnishes. Allow your guests build their own wraps.
Great Meatless Monday dish!